Friday, February 12, 2010

By now the tragic news of Lee Alexander McQueen's death has saturated the fashion world and even mainstream media the globe over. Being a neophyte to haute couture myself, I had certainly heard of Alexander McQueen, but wasn't savvy enough to recognize his trademark creations as they permeated into pop culture, more specifically by way of Lady Gaga wearing McQueen chess crowns and armadillo heels in her raucous "Bad Romance" video.

As is often the case after an unexpected artist or celebrity death, it provides a moment of pause for retrospection on that person's life's work (I like this piece from the Times). For me, what is different about McQueen is that after reviewing image upon image of his masterful craft I realize that we will continue to see his work for years to come, whether it be in the form of his own creations or the influence he will have on current and future artists. His clothes are the reflection of a visionary in every sense of the word, and we are extremely lucky to have had his talent grace our presence for the disappointingly short time he spent on Earth.

Lee, I hardly knew ye. But I have a suspicion your influence will be with us for some time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment