Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's well into a new year already, and after some deep thought and introspection I've decided it will be my last of service in the United States Navy. At the risk of sounding completely and utterly sheltered, this will be the first time ever in my adult life that I truly have no idea what the future may hold, at least as far as my vocation is concerned. With that in mind, my plan is to stay in the City and continue to learn and grow and soak-in as much of the inimitable culture it has to offer, and hopefully give back some to the place I now call home. On a personal level, I feel I'm experiencing a cultural renaissance, for which I will be forever grateful to the Navy for giving me this incredible opportunity to serve in New York City.

For me, part of this surreal experience that is living and working and serving in New York was significantly enhanced last year by working with various members of the New York City Mayor's office and staff on the USS New York (LPD 21) commissioning. So you can only imagine my immense pride when I was an invited guest at the NYC Mayoral Inauguration on New Year's Day. If I may indulge just a little, attending what I considered to be an insider's event, this is the day I'll forever fondly look back on and reminisce as when I officially became an adopted citizen of this great city. In fact I was so moved by Mayor Bloomberg's personal example of performing community service in the four outer boroughs, I was inspired to sign up for my own commitment of community service on NYCservice.org.

Now every Saturday I spend a few hours as an ambassador at the Chelsea Art Museum, home of the Jean Miotte Foundation's permanent collection. This gem of a historic building was once a social hall for longshoremen who came off of duty from the neighboring Chelsea Piers, so I'm quite certain there's some sort of ethereal calling that brought me to what I find to be a bright, beautiful and lofty space -- perfect to house artwork and for hosting community events.

And so as my nautical career winds down, I am experiencing a new, creativity-inspired rebirth. Who knows what will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment